Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Bette Davis & Daniel Day Lewis

Here's a digital caricature I did a few weeks ago of Bette Davis and a pencil-on paper one of Daniel day Lewis I just finished.
I am very often trying to find a style that's as clean and crisp as possible, and it may seem 'easy' and 'quick' to many people, I don't have that conviction. There are just other choices to make, and they can take a lot of your time. I'm showing these two, the b&w and the greytone because I just couldn't figure out which one was the stronger one.



And when i've done too much digital work I'm attracted to doing the the old-fashioned pencil on paper once again, like the one below. Both options will always remain open to me.

13 comments:

al hayball said...

Definately prefer the one with tone on mate.
al

damon said...

nice

like the Bette Davis

Nico Di Mattia said...

Beautiful work!

Brad said...

wow these are fantastic!

ramanjit said...

oh great this a very nice style.as you want.

Nuff said...

I love the simple linear style. And a beautiful likeness.

Emily Anthony said...

HI Marion! I also like the toned Bette, for the subtle nuances you found in her eyes, cheeks and chin that really scream BETTE DAVIS. The line version is the skeleton, though, for the tones...

Per H said...

Both linear and toned are awesome! You have captured her in few designed lines. Thumbs up!

Scott Sullivan said...

You know I always love your work.

The tone jumps out at me for a few reasons. I really like how the variations in shading allow you to use the darkness to make the other areas really pop.

I'm a big fan of lighting techniques and using shading/lighting to direct the viewer's eyes.

Great job!

Marion said...

Everybody, thanks for your comments!
My goal is to use no shades and gradients at all, like Al Hirschfeld. But then he had no computer, otherwise he perhaps would have used them as well....... We'll never know, but it's an interesting thought.

Eun Ae said...

Hi, Marion...I'm always a big fan of your work! Though I'm not a caricaturist, I think it's logical that who sketches with a pencil very well, can do digital drawing very well, too.

Zach Trenholm said...

Wow Marion---really solid take on Davis!

ytuythdj said...

視訊聊天室,HI.AV頻道,線上成人影城,18禁,美女自拍,美女自拍,美女聊天室聊天,免費聊天,免費視訊,一對一視訊,一對多視訊,聊天人緣,談情說愛,成人視訊,影音視訊聊天室,相片,靚辣妹群,成人,DVD,成人影城,成人影片,線上成人影片,18成人,18禁,誘惑,激情,巨乳,巨乳辣妹,美女妹妹,美女,制服美女,校園美女,女同志,酒店,高潮,辣妹,比基尼辣妹,av女優,美熟女,日本東京妹,援交妹,美少女,線上成人影城,AV女優,成人,成人影城,成人影片,線上成人影片